Shark in A Jar- FREE PATTERN

Hey Everyone! My summer has been so busy, I've hardly had any time to crochet or design. I'm really super excited about my new...

February 28, 2017

Lion Brand Mandala Yarn

Are you curious if the new Lion Brand Mandala Yarn lives up to the hype?     Well I'm here to tell you my thoughts on it!

** Disclaimer, I am in no way affiliated with Lion Brand or Walmart.  I bought the yarn and just want to give you my honest opinion of the product and my experience.

Last week while casually strolling through the yarn isle at our local Walmart (who are we kidding I run straight there), I came across this awesome end cap!   Fellow  "yarnies" have been posting about these for weeks.   I'll be honest, I have been stalking ours for a while, but then I found out that only 500 stores had them.  Being in a very rural area I lost hope of finding any in our store, until last week!  
  
My initial thoughts were " WOW these are bigger than I thought!"   and "Sigh these colors are to DIE FOR!" and "Boy these have been pretty picked through thoroughly already!"   
 I grabbed a few and went home to try them out.    

I knew I needed to make my kids some ponchos after the one I just made for my niece and these would be perfect for them.    Here are the completed projects (I'm going to post a pattern review later on the Shell Poncho from Cre8tion Crochet)
Pattern Credit Cre8tion Crochet - Children's Shell Poncho
Lion Brand Mandala in Pheonix
Pattern, my own.  I'm still debating on writing it up.
Lion Brand Mandala in Spirit

So what are the final thoughts on the yarn?  The cakes have 590 yards to them which was more than enough for the girls poncho, and I only used half on the toddler sized boy poncho.   The Spirit (blue and grey) had some color imperfections where there was light blue specks in the darker colors, it didn't look bad but not what I was hoping for.   I still love the long color changes though, perfect for these ponchos or a blanket.   It is a 3 weight yarn which I don't love. It split easily with my hook if i wasn't paying attention, and when frogging there was a point I was ready to just cut it and take my loss because it snagged so much.   It takes longer to finish a pattern (which I get bored easily if it takes too long) even with a 6.0 mm hook.  It will be nice to wear in spring since it is thinner.   It's pretty soft and I didn't find it scratchy to touch.  The price was less than $5 at my Walmart, although it is more on the Lion Brand website (but you aren't limited on color selection).

Overall I think it was still a great buy.   Not often can you get that much yarn and beautiful colors for that great of of price.   I'm on a SAHM on a budget so I think the price point is what will bring me back to this yarn for future projects.  

Have you used this yarn?    I'd love to see your projects and know your thoughts  :)      Don't forget to follow me on Instagram @Bsquarecrochet or like my page on Facebook 

2 comments:

  1. Your Seal is darling! He makes an adorable companion for our Mermaid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The mermaid was so fun to make. She needed a friend. Lol

      Delete

Have a question, suggestion or just like what you see? Let me know here